Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:10:41 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   groff alternative?

--nextPart3677596.j3orVY53Xm

Hello,

I'm using NO_CXX in my make.conf to strip down the base system to ~50MB=20
including man pages. The only problem is that groff is missing if I don't=20
build c++, and even if I build groff itself and the needed libstdc++ it cos=
ts=20
me about 10MB. If I just skip NO_CXX it's only 500k more, so I moved my=20
patches to /dev/null.

Now I wrote a port for GNU/groff, but this also consumes 9974k by default a=
nd=20
I don't want to include patches into that port to strip down groff, if that=
=20
was possible at all.

Does anybody know any alternative for the groff part to view man pages simp=
ly=20
with the man command? It's horrible that the filter needs more space than a=
ll=20
the manpages itself!

And of course, even if I decide to leave system man pages outside the flash=
=20
card I still may want to read man pages of installed packages (which is=20
another mountpoint on my installation, so there may be no space limit,=20
depending on the card and additional drives)

Thanks,

=2DHarry