Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:20:35 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Steve Wingate <s.wingate@cox.net>
Cc:        Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 drives + 2 IDE channels = better?

Steve Wingate wrote:
 >> Is is better to run a 2nd drive on another IDE channel or on the
 >> same bus? Eg. IDE channel 1 = ad0 (main OS), IDE channel 2 = ad1
 >> (other data - maybe MySQL and websites?)
 >>

 > For performance reasons a seperate channel is better. If you're
 > anal about cable neatness, air flow and all that weird stuff a
 > single cable does have some benefit for some people. I prefer the
 > two channel method whether it's two hard drives or a disk and
 > cd-rom, since an IDE disk can only do one thing at a time.

I also try to follow the 1 controller - 1 device rule. The
motherboards with onboard raid are even better. You can have 4 HDs on
individual controllers. All of my systems have /, /usr/src, and
/usr/obj on different HDs for performance.

The new round ATA-133 cables even get rid of the air flow problem.
They are typically 24 inches long instead of the 18 inches max on the
ribbon cable.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart