Date:      08 Dec 2001 23:41:29 -0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <H@Schmalzbauer.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw, keep-state and ssh

Am Sa , 2001-12-08 um 23.37 schrieb David W. Chapman Jr.:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:06:22PM -0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > today I set up a packet filter with ipfw. The last time I have used it
> > was long before 4.0 so keep-state is new to me (for IPFW, I know it in
> > IPFilter).
*snip*
> > pass? But then keep-state is useless for TCP.
>
> The problem is ipfw's states aren't really states, they are timers.
> SSH sends a keep-alive around every 10 mins, way past the default
> settings for the timer in ipfw.

REALLY? Sorry for crying but this means I have to rewrite my rules
again. But it explains my errors. *argh*

Perhaps this should be clarified for those like me. The ones who are
overflying pages when they think they know the function:-(

To be precisley almost nothing works correctly. I've posted my rules
before, so if anyone is interested:
I removed the SA (Setup) from the rules, otherwise every connection dies
after timeout. But even if I allow TCP-ACK links to set state, suddenly,
I couldn't figure out when, the link dies. Even while typing. And that's
not nice.

OK, I'll rewrite it like "Doppelte Buchführung". The thing that comes in
has to go somewhere out;-)

Thanks,

-Harry