Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
Cc:        Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, A. L. Meyers wrote:
> It seems to me that it would be in the very best interest of
> FreeBSD to apply whatever quality controls are appropriate to
> ensure that "stable" means what it says.

You're checking out the head of a development tree.  It will never
be stable in your sense.  As mentioned before it might theoretically
be best to rename "stable" but it needs a volunteer (you?) to do the
work to fix all the breakage which will result.

> Do you seriously expect
> all users to go thru the testing procedures enumerated below?

Then use a point release with the security patches applied.

> Most probably expect such things to be done by developers before
> new and/or improved code is incorporated into "stable".

Like I said, the testing matrix of the x86 platforms are way too damn
fucking big.  Do you know how many different flavors of intel eepro100
chips alone are out there?  Do you think that any of the fxp developers
have a full matrix of all of them?  Do you even think that the people who
are -current have all of them?  Multiply that just by the number of x86
motherboards out there and you will get some idea of what kind of testing
matrix we're talking about.  Of course, are you volunteering to do QA on
code before it goes into stable?  If you've got the hardware and the
manpower then maybe we can do something about it.