Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 13:29:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        trevor@jpj.net (Trevor Johnson)
Cc:        kstewart@3-cities.com (Kent Stewart), Heiner.Goette@web.de (Heiner [G_tte]), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Deskjet 720C

Trevor Johnson babbled:
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 13:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>

> >> is it possible to use the HP Deskjet 720C with freebsd?
> >
> > It is one of the early winprinters. There is a project around the 722c
> > on Linux and if it is going to work, this is the way it will be
> > accomplished. See
> > http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/show_printer.cgi?recnum=61536
> $ cat /usr/ports/print/pbm2ppa/pkg/DESCR
> This software creates output using the PPA (printer performance
> architecture) protocol.  This protocol is used by some HP "Windows-only"
> printers, including the HP Deskjet 820C series, the HP DeskJet 720 series,
> and the HP DeskJet 1000 series.  It has been tested on all three printers,
> but your personal experience (positive or negative) is very much
> appreciated!

How does one tell when shopping for used printers which ones are
winprinters and which ones are real printers?  Is there a list available
somewhere?  My recollection is that the last time I checked freebsd.org
there was a list of some known workable printers, but that left a lot
of the DeskJets as basically unknown.  I'm looking back at the handbook
as I type this, and now I can't even find that much, so perhaps I just
imagined it.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix