Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 1996 15:05:02 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/NT synchronization model (was: SMP progress?)

In message <199606042200.PAA23901@MindBender.HeadCandy.com>, "Michael L. VanLoo
n -- HeadCandy.com" writes:

>>> Another question I have: What is the "reference" model for SMP
>>> synchronization methods in Unix?  Solaris?  OSF/1?  For those who are
>>> familiar with the Windows NT synchronization model, how does this Unix
>>> reference model compare?  I. e. what are the similarties and
>>> differences?
>
>>To Be Decided really...
>
>Maybe "reference model" was too strong.  Where do most of you get your
>ideas for what SMP synchronization should look like in FreeBSD?  From
>Solaris?  OSF/1?  Somewhere else?
>
>Since my only threaded/multi-CPU-aware code has all been written in
>Windows NT, I'd like to find out what a "good" Unix synchronization
>implementation looks like.

As in "I expect your guys to know this before you even try it ?"

Frankly, we havn't spent much time seriously persuing this issue.

If you have input, we're most open to it...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.