Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:13:17 -0800
From:      Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: p5-dbd-pg

<cmt@burggraben.net> wrote:
>=20
> ## Dan Mahoney (freebsd@gushi.org):
>=20
>> On doing a routine pkg upgrade at the dayjob, the perl module =
p5-DBD-pg
>> forced an upgrade from postgresql12-client to postgresql13-client =
(which
>> uninstalled postgresql12-server).
>=20
> p5-DBD-Pg uses the "default" postgresql version, which switched from
> 12 to 13 in Octobe r(or with the Quarterly switch, depending on what
> you use).
> If you build your own packages, you could pin the default postgresql
> version according to your needs via the make.conf mechanism, that is
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3D pgsql=3D12 as an example.

The whole point of using pkg is that I should not have to build my own =
packages.

My ticket system was down for several hours while I reinstalled =
postgresql12 (which uininstalled p5-dbd-pg), dumped a 3.5G db, and then =
reinstalled postgresql13-server, and reimported, because that's what you =
have to do when you upgrade postgres.  (I hate this about postgres, but =
it is what it is).

Worse still, the initial install of p5-dbd-pg pulled in =
postgres13-client, but DID NOT DELETE postgres12-client or =
postgres12-server, so I assumed the whole "these things can coexist" =
problem had been fixed.  As people had said, the actual client is stable =
-- and besides which, a 13 client can talk to a 12 DB (as it might do =
over the internet).  The SECOND pkg upgrade then wiped out the =
postgresql12 stuff.

For a perl module that could be flavored so it works with whatever thing =
you have installed.  (It doesn't call for a specific version, it just =
has uses =3D pgsql).

Had I seen this level of fail coming, I would have deployed on a =
parallel VM, or done the db dump beforehand, but the initial pkg upgrade =
did not show it was deleting postgres 12.

Luckily, this ticket system is internal, and we have a process to cache =
inbound tickets on our border MXes, so it wasn't the end of the world, =
but it was still annoying.

(We have backups, of course, but they're not down-to-the-transaction).

-Dan