Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 17:54:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaling

> > It has been that way for a long time.  I'm not sure why the limit is
> > 8, but it is.  (Someone might know.  I suspect it was just an
> > arbitrary value chosen a long time ago.)  Changing it might break
> > backwards compatibility, though.
>
> NetBSD currently supports 16.Yes, it
> breaks backward compatability.
>
> 					Terry Lambert
> terry@lambert.org

  Slightly off topic (as if the topic were about journalling anymore in
this thread anyway :) )...
  From my perusal of the code, it looks as if the NetBSD change from
386BSD's partition ID of 165 (which we still use) to 169 is unrelated to
the change to 16 partitions. Actually, I can't find where it is useful at
all; I would have assumed that if they were going to break
backward-compatibility by going to 16 partitions, switching MBR partition
IDs at the same time would be logical.
  Does anyone here know the reasoning between switching MBR partition IDs?

  Just curious,

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA