Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 00:55:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Nick Popoff <mouse@bloodletting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Question

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Nick Popoff wrote:

this should really be on smp@freebsd.org?

> I'm exploring hardware setups for FreeBSD and I'm curious how SMP is
> coming.  What is the consensus on its stability at this point, and how
> far is it from loosing its 'beta' classification?  Also, anyone running
> FreeBSD on a Xeon processor?  I'm trying to figure out the best way to
> max FreeBSD's performance, and what gives a good return for the money.
> Any advice appreciated!

My company deals almost entirely with dual PII freebsd servers,
ram configurations vary from 256-1024 megabytes of ram.

In the last month we haven't had any failures except for hardware/power
issues.  The machines perform admirably.  My home box a dual 400
with 256 ram gets pummelled constantly with large software builds
and remains stable as a rock.

Just remember, ram is important, don't get a dual box with 128 ram
or we'll laugh at you, go for a more heavyweight 512, or even 256
if it stresses your budget (ram is getting so damn cheap anyhow)

good luck,
-Alfred