Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:23:34 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disabling build-in mouse pointer

> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:39:49 +0200
> From: Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>

> Hello,
>
> I've a Dell M4400 laptop, running 8-CURRENT and xorg-server 1.6; the
> laptop has a normal touchpad but also some small stick in the middle of
> the keyboard to move the mouse pointer. The problem with this is that
> sometimes on typing I hit accidently this stick, which moves the mouse
> and in the worth case the focus goes to some other window (where once
> the 'd' key deleted mail in my mutt session)... is there a way to
> disable this in the Xserver? thx

I always disable the touchpad and only use the joybutton, but I assume
that the issue is the same. It has to be done in the BIOS, as far as I
know. The two devices are seen as a single device by the OS, so there is
no way I know of to control it at that level.

I hate touchpads and mice (or any other pointer that requires me to move
a hand off of the keyboard). But that's why there are so many options.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)