Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:22:46 +0300
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        lausts@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Geli encryption issue on r362779

> On 30. Jun 2020, at 15:01, Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org> wrote:
>=20
> This is a repost to this list because of my submission email address =
did
> not match the one on record.
>=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> List:
>=20
> I just upgraded a couple of computers from r362220 to r362779 and have
> booting issue on my Core2 duo laptop with the passphrase unlocking the
> encrypted partition.  If I type in the correct passphrase, my laptop
> reboots.  If I type in an incorrect one, it prompts me to enter =
another
> one.  On my i5 Skylake desktop, everything works as expected.  I had =
> copy an older 'gptzfsboot' file from a distribution CD to allow me to
> boot my laptop.
>=20
> The Core2 duo doesn't have the hardware encryption feature and uses
> software emulation of AESNI.  The i5 has the hardware encryption
> feature.  Once I copied the old 'gptzfsboot' file to my laptop, it =
boots OK.
>=20
> Tom
>=20

The boot bits do not use hardware encryption at all, so it must be =
something else. Unfortunately testing it is a bit annoying and time =
consuming task, but we should go through it if we want to get to the =
bottom of the issue. It means, we need to insert printf=E2=80=99s to the =
code to see how far we get and why we end up with reboot. Please let me =
know when you can spend time with testing.

rgds,
toomas=