Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:37:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RTC BIOS diagnostic error 17

Although my newly built freeBSD system (on an elderly 486 PC) seems to
be performing in accordance with expectations, I'm still noticing this
oddity at every startup:

  RTC BIOS diagnostic error 17<memory_size,invalid_time>

I hadn't found anything definite about this in FAQs or mail archives,
but there was some indication it might point to a dead motherboard
battery.  Which would have been at least plausible, as the PC in
question was quite old (but in DOS its real time clock looked OK).
Anyhow, I tried replacing the motherboard battery, but it hasn't made
any difference.

Is this a matter that I should be concerned about, or not?

thanks.