Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 06:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      imsleepy <imsleepy@earthlink.net>
To:        a540@scatcat.fhsu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal modem problems

if you're still using the generic kernel, you might try checking to see if
it has 'com3' diabled.

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

just
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
# vi GENERIC (take out the 'diable' for sio2.)
and then do
# /usr/sbin/config -r GENERIC
# cd ../../compile/GENERIC
# make depend
# make
and if there are no errors
# make install

although i guess you should prolly change the name from GENERIC to
something to match your machine name since it's not really generic
anymore.  hope this helps.

-scott