Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 11:11:34 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        TNorris@aolcom
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't get FreeBSD cdrom to load

On Sun, 11 May 1997, T Norris wrote:

> I just purchased the latest walnut creek FreeBSD 2.2.1.  After wasting
> an embarrasing number of hours trying to get this supposedly easier to
> install version of unix up and running, I am now begging for assistance.
>
> I did not have any problem at all with Linux. Had it up and running in
> only a few hours.  Naturally I wanted to try the "better and faster"
> unix from FreeBSD.  Where's the better and faster??  I find no books at
> my bookstore on FreeBSD installation amongst all the Linux books.  I
> don't think that the folks at FreeBSD should bragg about how easy their
> product is to install.
>
> I would like to install from CD using my Toshiba IDE cdrom drive like I
> did with Linux.  I first boot into FreeBSD from my cdrom.  Then I go
> though the installation procedure, and even get all the IRQ conflicts
> resolved and my disk drives to be recognized and partitioned the way I
> want.  Then the install program gets to the point where I am actually
> load the stuff from the cdrom.  Then I get the message that I suddenly
> have no cdrom configured.  This is not good.

What is the CD connected to? Make sure it is connected to one of the EIDE
controllers on your motherboard (not a soundcard or such). You should try
it either as the slave on the primary controller or as the master on the
secondary controller. When you boot the install disk, make sure that the
CD is in the drive!

Nadav