Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:57:39 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high availability by routing?

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 10:19:00AM +0000, Sven.Huster@t-online.de thus spoke:
> hi there,

> at the moment i have following setup:

> |isp| --- |my router| -- |switch| -- |loadbalancer| -- |web farm|

> i want to improve availability by adding a second loadbalancer and
> a second router + a second connection to my network provider to
> eliminate the single point of failure (i know about the single
> switch).

> so the setup then will be:
>
> |   | -- |router 1| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 1| -- |        |
> |isp|                  |switch|                        |web farm|
> |   | -- |router 2| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 2| -- |        |

You also have the other single point of failure as the ISP, and
potentially the cable running to you bringing the data.  Typically
there will be from dozens to hundreds to thousands in a single
cable and that would get you.

Are you having an availability problem now.  What is the data
rate from your ISP to you - eg T1/E1, T3/E3/DS3, ??.

> 1. how is routing managed between isp and my routers?
> 2. what happends if one router fails or one isp connection is broken?
> 3. how does the loadbalancer recongnizes that one router fails?

Router failure is fairly rare - depending on routers.  I had a 7513
with a funky HSSI port that like to reset itself - took awhile to
find it was the problem.  I had one 25xx series that would become
unstable and reboot itself about every 2 weeks.  Running early
release software with NAT/PAT for a remote router at a remote
location in a student housing complex.  The only other failure was
a Cicso 7120 about two weeks after install.  Pure infant mortalitly
- where it got to the point of parity errors reading the boot rom.

Not that I managed a lot of things - but out of a dozen outbound
T1's I've never had any router problems - except as above - or
at customers with cheap routers.

> maybe i will extend the setup with another connection to a other isp.
> 6. how will this fit in my environment?

That will surely help in case the ISP or their uplink goes away.
A lot depends on the ISP as to how big they are, how well
connected, etc.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com