Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 18:38:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Just FYI [F00F bug]

I was contacted today by Sunil Saxena and Woody Cohn at Intel who
apologised for the aformentioned bug and promised to provide any and
all information required to fix it.  Apparently, they called me some 3
days ago at Walnut Creek CDROM but the folks there didn't think to
pass the message on (grr!).  They've been working flat-out on this bug
over there and are treating it very seriously indeed.

In any case, this is just FYI and Intel *is* quite interested in our
having a fix for this problem.  I gave them Bruce Evans' email address
and asked them to supply the details directly to him as he's our
resident IDT expert and I think we've burned up more than enough
bandwidth in -hackers over this issue as it is.

Please don't pester myself or Bruce for more details on this unless
you want to see a solution delayed even more - when a fix hits the
tree, you'll know all about it.  Thanks to those who have also been
forwarding us details on this but really, please, you can also stop
forwarding the same bugtrax advisory to us over and over again now
(current count: 8 copies) since we HAVE seen it and you aren't doing
us any favors by continuing to post it to the various FreeBSD mailing
lists! :-(

I also think that this whole episode starkly illustrates the need for
greater patience on the part of our users.  We've been literally
inundated over the past 3 days with questions, flames and
well-intentioned but wholly redundant forwards on the topic and all
other work has more or less ground to a halt under the onslaught.  If
this project is to remain an effective development body, it needs to
be given a little more time and space to work than it has been given
in this particular instance.  Don't kill the golden goose here, folks!
We're only human, and spending hours wading through such mailstorms
only detracts from the time we might have spent more constructively
working on the problem.

Each such incident also results in more core members unsubscribing
from -hackers and, unless you want to eventually see our mailing lists
populated only by users and none of the developers, please spare a
thought for our overflowing mailboxes before you hit that "send"
button.

Thanks.

					Jordan