Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 2020 21:53:21 +0100
From:      Vincenzo Maffione <vmaffione@freebsd.org>
To:        Rajesh Kumar <rajfbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netmap Library not getting installed on custom kernel installation

Hi Rajesh,
  The libnetmap library is part of the userland utilities, whereas netmap
itself is a kernel subsystem.
This means that when you enable "device netmap", and you run "make
buildkernel", you get a kernel with netmap included. Also the low level
kernel headers are installed (e.g. /usr/include/net/netmap.h).

On the other hand, libnetmap gets installed (libnetmap.h + libnetmap.so +
libnetmap.a + ...) when you run "make buildworld" and "make installworld",
because that's a userland component.

On a side note, the netmap tools (pkt-gen, bridge, lb, etc.) should really
be a port. Another TODO item.

Regards,
  Vincenzo