Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:59:41 -0500
From:      "John" <sephtin@techgodz.com>
To:        "Al-Afu" <afu-subscribed-list@aeefyu.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device ed1 (D-Link DFE-670TXD) has an invisible "interface"?

> > > ... i cant ping to this machine from any other host? I cant ping out
from
> > > this machine to others. But not the other way round. Pls .. if anyone
has
> > > any ideas.

Are you running 5.0REL?
When was the last time you rebuilt your kernel?  Might be worth a try.

I had this same problem the first time I installed 5.0REL on my laptop,
and tried to use a Linksys PCM100 card (shows up as ed1).  I could
ping out no problem, but nothing got in.  Packets were seen in tcpdump,
but nic wasn't responding.

I was able to correct it by make buildkernel KERNCONF=mykernel; \
make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel ; reboot.

Only thing I changed in mykernel, was to add device  pcm, and to comment
out other architectures (to define i686 as cputype).
This was on a fresh install, and I tried installing twice.
(the second time, I thought it through, and installed kernel sources as
well).

Good luck.  (HTH),
John