Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:15:15 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-Ports" <FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Apache13: crypt, descrypt libraries

I'm working on the new apache13 ports, but I am having a problem with the
crypt/descrypt library dependency.  What I need for the port to do is to
make it so that it can be built with either library depending on the admins
requirements.

I fixed the Apache13 configure script to allow a user to choose to build the
apache server with the descrypt library, and patched src/Configure so
that -l@CRYPT@ could be replaced with either crypt or descrypt.

Before I compiled the port I switched the crypt links to scrypt.  But after
the port compiles, ldd still shows apache, htpasswd, suexec as being linked
with libcrypt.so.2 instead of being linked with libdescrypt.so.2.  And when
htpasswd is run, it creates md5 passwords instead of DES passwords.
Changing the crypt links back to descrypt, and now htpasswd creates DES
passwords.

I changed src/Makefile & src/support/Makefile, to use /usr/lib/libdescrypt.a
instead of -ldescrypt, and recompiled.  htpasswd now creates both DES and
MD5 passwords ( use -m for MD5) (NOTE: I switched the crypt links to scrypt
before the compile).

Is the only way to compile apache with the descrypt library is to compile it
in statically?

Or is there another way to compile the descrypt library into the apache
sources?

The current Apache13 module ports with the crypt/descrypt change is at:

     http://www.westbend.net/~hetzels/mod_apache13.tgz

NOTE: These ports still use -ldescrypt, and haven't been updated to the new
PKGNAME/PKGVERSION requirements.

The reason for this change to the behavior of the Apache13 port is due to
the requirement for mod_frontpage needing the Apache server to use DES
passwords (MS/RTR compiled fpsrvadm.exe with the descrypt library).  I have
also received past request to make the Apache13-FP port compile with the
descrypt library as they didn't want to have to change their crypt links to
descrypt.

Scot