Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 00:31:35 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        sysop@mixcom.com (Jeffrey J. Mountin)
Cc:        tony@warp.co.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Death Ping & 2.1.7.1R

It was Jeffrey J. Mountin who wrote:
> At 05:58 PM 4/11/97 +0000, Anthony Barlow wrote:
> >I'm a little concerned with the problems people have been experiancing with
> >SCSI on FBSD 2.2.1R. Is 2.1.7.1R suceptable to the 'death ping' I recall in
> >an early message that 2.2.1 wasn't.
>
> Any system will be effected, especially if it is a flood.  There is no real
> way to protect from a denial of service, but a system is considered
> vulernable if a large packet ping causes abnormal behaviour.
>
> Check out:
>
> http://www.sophist.demon.co.uk/ping/
>
> and CERT advisory CA-96.26 for info.
>
> Interestingly the CERT says that 2.1.6 and -current were not vulnerable,
> but the  Ping o' Death page states 2.1.0 and up.

Where does it say so ?

The URL above says:

4.4. Safe operating systems

           Operating system                         Version Tested
 Solaris (Sparc)                                    2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1
 MVS Mainframe with TCP/IP stack from Interlink     3.1, 4.1
 MVS Mainframe with TCP/IP stack from IBM           3.1, 3.2
 FreeBSD                                            2.0 and above

> Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
> jeff@mixcom.net

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)