Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:55:37 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel - maxusers, NMBCLUSTERS etc.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:46:59AM -0400, Grant Peel wrote:
> 1. Does anyone use the maxusers=0 parm? If so is it safe, ie does it
> dynamicly set maxusers on-the-fly, or does it only set at boot time based on
> the current number of users?
Yes and Yes, the setting is assigned at boot time and depends on an
algorithm which you can read about in tuning(7) IIRC.

I would say give it a go and see how it fairs.  Check out sysctl -a for
your current settings and see how it changes when you set MAXUSERS to 0.

Also check out fstat(1) to see what open files you currently have and what
is consuming your file descriptors - perhaps you can cut down the number
of open files.

--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/