Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:06:18 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error message while cvsup'ing RELENG_2_2

> >Was the filesystem mounted async at the time of the crash?  I'm
> >just curious.
>
> Um, I'm really not sure what that is, to be honest. :-)

It is a special option you can use to mount a filesystem.  It makes
operations on the files and directories substantially faster, but it
also creates a real risk of losing data (maybe a lot of data) if
there is a power failure or system crash.  I personally don't
recommend  using it.

> I just do a normal mount on startup from fstab:
>

> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump Pass#
> /dev/wd1a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd1s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              1       1
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
> /dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/wd0s1              /c              msdos   rw              0       0
> /dev/wd1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0

You're not using async mounts, then.  (Good!)  They are enabled by
adding "async" to the list of options.

John