Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:46:33 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Tony Landells" <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Setting sysctl variables at boot time

Tony,

That worked for the vfs.vmiodirenable, which can be enabled at anytime.
However, for the "hw.ata.wc", I get an error for sysctl saying that it is
read-only. According to the FBSD Handbook, it must be turned on before
filesystems are mounted. The file /etc/sysctl.conf is executed right before
you go into multiuser mode, which I think it too late and that probably why
I'm getting that error.

There are some kernel variables that are being set (although they are
commented out) in /boot/defaults/loader.conf. I added my stuff in there, but
like I said, it seems to be ignored.

Thanks,
Kory