Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:12:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make world

> > > You know, there are several things installed by a make world that I
> > > *really* wish I could condition out via a make veriable:
> >
> > Then copy gnu/usr.bin/Makefile to gnu/usr.bin/makefile, and comment
> > them out. :)
> >
> > There is such a thing as being 'too flexible', because it introduces
> > too much complexity for those that don't understand the system.
>
> Well, that takes care of one of three, but that gets undone next time I do
> a cvs update.

Uhh, nope.  CVS won't touch files that have never been in the system,
like 'makefile'.  I tdo this all the time on my laptop which doesn't
have space for the big packages, so I delete them and build a
'makefile' with them gone.  CVS update creates the directories anew,
but my CVS update script deletes them again as soon as the update
completes.

The only time this fails is when new directories are in place, but
any 'customized' system needs some modifications to stay current.

Nate