Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 23:47:40 EST
From:      Francisco Reyes <freyes@i-2000.com>
To:        <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install suggestions.

Here are some suggestions for the installation section of the
handbook.

SUGGESTED CHANGES TO EXISTING PAGES
- On section 2.3.1 (Installing from CD rom) it mentions that if the
user has an unsported configuration such as IDE CD ROM to go
to section 2.3: MS Dos preparation. The section is 2.3.3 and it
would be great if that line could have a link to that seciton.

- On the same section 2.3.1 it says "may work as well, but I can't
say for sure...'. I suggest that is changed to something like "other
CD rom distributions may work, but they are not covered in this
handbook". The reason is that to say 'I don'thave a say' sounds
like FreeBsd is managed by one person and he single handed has
done all these wonderful things with FreeBsd and the
documentation.

- I also think that 2.3.1 should not go into the making of floppies,
but instead should point to the installing from DOS or creating
floppies section. Why have the same discussion in two places?

- The paragraphs about lndir should be revised to include some
examples of how this can be used. The two lines which indicate
how to use lndir show how to create the link, but a new user will
not know how this will be of help.

The last paragraph from that sections describes how 'make' will
take the sources from the CDrom and write to a 'more writable
media', but fails to give an example ie make xxxx

SUGGESTED NEW SECTION
I suggest we create a quick-start guide for Walnut Creek CDrom.
The main purpose of this section would be to get any new user to
section 2.4.1 if he/she doesn't need the rest of the info. (ie
pre-install info)

 This guide will have a pre-requisites section:
-User has a SCSII CD rom and he/she can access it from DOS.
-User already has a partition of free space in the HD.
Anything else that would be needed for an easy simple installation
from a new user?

Once the user reads this section and he/she meets the
requirements then the page will have a link directly to the
Installation Menu section.

QUESTION
Is there a FAQ or URL with SGML info. I looked at some samples
in the /handbook directory, but I am not sure I will learn much
from those.