Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:32:31 -0800
From:      "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dnet causes Hard Lock on SMP kernel? ( was 'Why is my -current system Hard Locking?' )

--On Thursday, November 07, 2002 6:07 PM -0500 Ray Kohler
<ataraxia@cox.net> wrote:

>> From owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG Thu Nov  7 18:00:10 2002
>> Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:47:03 -0800
>> From: "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
>> To: current@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject: dnet causes Hard Lock on SMP kernel? ( was 'Why is my
>> -current system Hard Locking?' )
>>

>> The BIG thing is that I now have a sure fire way of forcing
>> a Hard Lock.  Every time I run the distributed.net client
>> 'dnet' the system hard locks.  BUT ONLY ON A SMP KERNEL!
>> I have a non SMP kernel running and things so far
>> seem stable.  Running the system with only 1 CPU is slow,
>> so it'll take a while for me to be sure.
>>
>> So the questions now are.
>> 1.) What is dnet doing that is Hard Locking the system?
>> 2.) Is the dnet problem the same as what has been causing
>>     my Hard Locks all along?
>
> Just a guess, but maybe your system locks up every time the
> CPU usage gets very high under SMP? That's one thing dnetc
> is guaranteed to do. Do other CPU-intensive operations do
> it? (Maybe you said earlier, but I haven't been following
> this thread.)
>
> - @

I've run dnet reliably before.  I'm assuming the Hard Lock
problem is threads related, but at this point who knows.  A
more heavily load system seems to increase the chances of a
Hard Lock.  But it HAS happened with nothing going on.  Well,
relatively nothing, this system does real work so its never
completely idle.

The important thing is I can now force a Hard Lock simply by
running a program.  This is something that shouldn't happen
and needs to be solved.  With any luck this will also
solve my stability problem.