Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 1995 11:53:01 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

>Well folks, we've hit that wall we all knew was there and heading for
>us at 120Mph..  The GENERIC kernel has simply gotten too big to fit
>within 4MB now and no amount of paring back will deny a basic fact of
>life:
>
>	To fit in all the drivers we need to cover a reasonable set
>	of devices required at installation-time, we need more than
>	4MB and if we didn't need it today, we'd need it tomorrow.
>
>Now some of you will immediately go "ARGH!  What about my custom
>router!  What about my 4MB laptop!" and I know how you feel, so please
>don't write me 5 page impassioned letters in defense of the last of
>the 4MB users.

Boo. Hiss. Boo. Its time to have more than one boot floppy type...or to have
a limited device boot floppy for the most popular devices. Please, please
don't make me open every machine and install more ram just to load the
system....or we'll just keep 2.0.5 alive forever......

I don't think its unreasonable to have a net and CD boot floppy. I don't
care whats on the CD...just make one available.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25