Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:16:20 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

>On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Robert N Watson wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-hackers: 1-Oct-95 Re: FreeBSD
>> 2.1 will requir.. dennis@etinc.com (874*)

>> > Great Idea! Lets lose the established users who are pushing for the O/S to
>> > support the idiots. Let's eliminate those that are building systems
based on
>> > FreeBSD in hopes of luring the occasional one-time user.  This is a great
>> > business decision.
>>
>> How about two boot disks, then?  An installation-by phone/etc disk with
>> ppp/ftp support, and a mnetwork version for 8 meg+ systems that has nfs
>> and the ethernet drivers..  Of maybe just an NFS install disk and a
>> non-nfs install disk.. Assumably no one would nfs over a ppp line (bad
>> assumption, but ok, I think).
>
>I think we're talking about 3 levels of hacker here:
>
>1) little machine, wants to experiment with this Unix thingy.
>2) little machine, hacker who knows more but is cash-strapped.
>3) bigger machine, wants to change versions or test.

>I think you have to allow the category 1 guy in, somehow, but I get the idea
>that doing this on SNAPs might not be too good an idea.  Realize this guy
>hasn't got the experience to get himself out of even the smallest
>trouble, and should be kept away from anything not real well tested.
>Making 4 megs SNAPs available for this guy might be asking to trouble,
>because that's giving him access to versions not too well tested.

You forgot:

4 - Reseller / Integrater  who wants to built the least expensive possible
to system to
     be competitive.

We're talking about letting everyone in without making sizable trade-offs. The
Linux people have figured it out, now we're trying to figure out if the FreeBSD
guys can.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25