Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:51:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 panics with MP kernels

Mark Murray wrote:
> > > Take out 'options USER_LDT' and 'device random' and you should be able to
> > > get -CURRENT running.
> > >

> > I can toss 'options USER_LDT', but isn't 'device random'
> > now mandatory?  The 20000710 entry in src/UPDATING suggests
> > that crypto tools will break.
>
> The only unstableness about device random that I'm aware of is a
> guaranteed panic if you try to unload the module. If its built in,
> no problem.

If you can't find my original email, the panic message is
below my .sig.  This is for a MP kernel from a few days
ago.  The panic is probably in the new mutex code, but
/dev/random starts the trace in db.

--
Steve

panic: mutex_enter: MTX_DEF on MTX_SPIN mutex random harvest\
@/usr/src/sys/modules/randomdev/../../dev/randomdev/yarrow.c:515
cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
Debugger("panic')

CPU1 stopping CPUs: 0x00000001 stopped
Stopped at Debugger+0x38:  movb $0,in_Debugger.684

db>trace
Debugger(c0277da1)
panic
witness_enter