Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:33:56 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Hurf Sheldon' <hurf@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: BSD Stable from 4.1 CD-ROMS?

I'm a newbie myself but I'll take a stab at some of these.

STABLE is a work in progress that is continually updated with code from
CURRENT that has been tested and deemed STABLE.  You installed the 4.1
RELEASE which is merely a "snapshot" of STABLE as it was at that time.

> During the install the disk format routine would only allow 4
> partitions
> (9gb SCSI on adaptec 2940) - anything further was given the
> device entry
> "X"

I don't know.

> After boot and  kernel rebuild (for dual cpus ), we can't mount the
> CDROM for
> additional package installs (from /stand/sysinstall) - we get
> the error
> - "bad super block"

I used to get this as well but I solved the problem by mounting the CD
before running /stand/sysinstall.  I think the command is just "mount
/cdrom".

> We have several FreeBSD systems, now spanning 3.2->4.1. I'm
> curious what
> schemes people are using to keep a group of systems updated as
> painlessly
> as possible. There are 3 fronts: The system software, the packages and
> the ports that we'd like to be able to keep synced among the systems.
> What has been successful?

I haven't tried this but others have suggested running CVSup on one machine
(usually your fastest) and making your world there.  Then you can link your
other machines to the sources one the CVSup machine via NFS.

> thanks,
> hurf

You're welcome,

Drew