Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:39:50 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Subject:   Re: vm balance

In message <200104170602.XAA55944@beastie.mckusick.com>, Kirk McKusick writes:

>I am still of the opinion that merging VM objects and vnodes would
>be a good idea. Although it would touch a huge number of lines of
>code, when the dust settled, it would simplify some nasty bits of
>the system.

When I first heard you say this I thought you were off your rockers,
but gradually I have come to think that you may be right.

I think the task will be easier if we get the vnode/buf relationship
untangled a bit first.

I may also pay off to take vnodes out of diskoperations entirely before
we try the merge.

>Under the old name cache implementation, decreasing
>the number of vnodes was slow and hard. With the current name cache
>implementation, decreasing the number of vnodes would be easy.

Actually the main problem is that NFS relies on vnodes never being
freed to hold "soft references" using "struct vnode * + v_id).