Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 12:32:17 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a new ports categorie for kdm ?

On Thu, May 08, 1997 at 02:23:41AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * Since there are some (many) application under this "label",
>  * would you agree, to create a new categorie especially for these
>  * kdm tools ?
>
> I took a look at www.kde.org,

Please do that ;-)

> it seems more like a collection of X applications.

No I think it looks more like KDE (X11) applications.

> They don't seem to be tied together too closely, for instance,
> I can just install kwm and use it, right?

I think yes.

But on the other hand it seems, that all these tools installed
together form something like a "complete" package as ther commercial
CDE (Common desktop environment) is.

I think it would be a good advantage, to be able to jump into
a directory /usr/ports/kdm and to do a make all install clean,
to get a complete kde _Environment_.

Look at the given URL and after that let's discuss again.
In the meantime I finish the port.

> How about putting them under their regular categories (x11/ for window
> manager, editors/ for editor, print/ for dvi previewer, etc.) and add
> an extra "kde" to the CATEGORIES line?

Would that result in (only) a new packages directory with proper
symlinks to the x11, editors and print category ?

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD