Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:39:29 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slab allocator

Bosko Milekic wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:58:09AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > First, let me say OUTSTANDING WORK!
> >
> > Jeff Roberson wrote:
> > > There are also per cpu queues of items, with a per cpu lock.  This allows
> > > for very effecient allocation, and also it provides near linear
> > > performance as the number of cpus increase.  I do still depend on giant to
> > > talk to the back end page supplier (kmem_alloc, etc.).  Once the VM is
> > > locked the allocator will not require giant at all.
> >
> > What is the per-CPU lock required for?  I think it can be
> > gotten rid of, or at least taken out of the critical path,
> > with more information.
>
>   Per-CPU caches. Reduces lock contention and trashes caches less often.

I thinl you are misunderstanding.  If the caches are per-CPU,
then by definition, they will only ever be accessed by a single
CPU, and so contention can be eliminated by ordered atomicity
of operations, unlike where there is inter-CPU contention.

Per CPU resources are really not something you would expect
to be contended between CPUs, and within the context of a
single CPU, contention is controllable.

> > > I would eventually like to pull other allocators into uma (The slab
> > > allocator).  We could get rid of some of the kernel submaps and provide a
> > > much more dynamic amount of various resources.  Something I had in mind
> > > were pbufs and mbufs, which could easily come from uma.  This gives us the
> > > ability to redistribute memory to wherever it is needed, and not lock it
> > > in a particular place once it's there.
> >
> > How do you handle interrupt-time allocation of mbufs, in
> > this case?  The zalloci() handles this by pre-creation of
> > the PTE's for the page mapping in the KVA, and then only
> > has to deal with grabbing free physical pages to back them,
> > which is a non-blocking operation that can occur at interrupt,
> > and which, if it fails, is not fatal (i.e. it's handled; I've
> > considered doing the same for the page mapping and PTE's, but
> > that would make the time-to-run far less deterministic).
>
>   Terry, how long will you keep thinking that mbufs come through the
> zone allocator? :-) For G*d's sake man, we've been over this before!

Then take that part out, and answer the question about
interrupt time allocations.  Whether I'm still substituting
mbufs in there when I shouldn't be or not is irrelevent to
the question.

> > > The other problem is with the per cpu buckets.  They are a
> > > fixed size right now.  I need to define several zones for
> > > the buckets to come from and a way to manage growing/shrinking
> > > the buckets.
> >
> > I built a "chain" allocator that dealt with this issue, and
> > also the object granularit issue.  Basically, it calculated
> > the LCM of the object size rounded to a MAX(sizeof(long),8)
> > boundary for processor alignment sensitivity reasons, and
> > the page size (also for processor sensitivity reasons), and
> > then allocated a contiguous region from which it obtained
> > objects of that type.  All in all, it meant zero unnecessary
> > space wastage (for 1,000,000 TCP connections, the savings
> > were 1/4 of a Gigabyte for one zone alone).
>
>   That's great, until you run out of pre-allocated contiguous space.

At which point you've reached the load bearing capacity of the
system, and will have to stop, no matter what.  It's not like
you can swap mbufs.

-- Terry