Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 12:12:39 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        ken keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Cc:        Barry Monk <ba.monk@time-off.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-users@freebsd-uk.eu.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and Netscape/DNS

ken keeler wrote:
> > Secondly, I am trying to use netscape to get onto the net, and when I launch
> > it I get the following errors :-
> >
> > Netscape is unable to locate the server home.netscape.com
> > the server does not have a DNS entry
> >
> > Warning : the following hosts are unknown :-
> >
> > myname.my.domain
> > home.netscape.com
> > home6.netscape.com
> > internic.net
>
> [snip]
>
> Have you invoked ppp before running netscape? I always get that message
> if ppp is not running first.

I get those errors if I use netscape with ppp running. :-) I'm down the
LAN using ppp -alias. I also run two different copies of named for
internet-connected (+caching) and not-'net-connected (only local names
resolve). A bit excessive, yes. But it works for me.
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>