Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:06:50 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        adam@veda.is
Cc:        CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT avail

The reason why I asked you this is because I didn't know why
NO_PACKAGE was set.  (I was worried about licenses and stuff, because
I wanted to put the distfile on the CD.)  It's recommended that you
put a comment above the NO_PACKAGE line describing why it is so.

You have my permission to add this comment to the Makefile. :)

 * The default mailto:webmaster@your.site URL is compiled into the
 * binaries with local site info. It would be possible to make a generic

Oh, I see.

 * Also, it is extra work to cleanly create the package on a system which
 * already has a data heirarchy installed (probably modified
 * locally). This is less of a hinderance than the previous reason.

Don't worry about this, if this is a problem, so many of our ports
will be NO_PACKAGE. ;)

 * The missing @unexec is probably an oversight on my part. originally I just
 * named the whole server tree, but decided that it would too easily pull in
 * locally supplied files in the current situation of possibly trying to build
 * a package from an installed data heirarchy. Eventually, when the package
 * can be built from a virgin build without being installed first, it might
 * make better sense to specify 'wn' as a single line again, instead of both
 * 'wn/index' and 'wn/docs'.

No, please don't do this, as you said, it's too easy to pull in extra
garbage or (worse) delete stuff that has been added locally.  Unless
there is a very good reason, relying on the recursion of tar is
strongly discouraged.

I'm planning to remove the recursion (by adding --norecurse) after 2.1
goes out.

 * The @exec statement builds the cache files and the root index.html file.

Isn't this already done when you install the package?  Note the @exec
statement in pkg/PLIST is not run when you do a regular install.  And
since this port is NO_PACKAGE, this statement is totally ignored.

 * I will give it more thought when I get it to make a package by default. There
 * is currently a method of doing this, but it's not very pretty :)

Don't bother, the mailto: thing is enough reason why it is not
packageable.

Satoshi