Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:53:02 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum R5 [was: Re: background fsck deadlocks with ufs2 and big disk]

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:59:59AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
<grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > The crashes and anomalies with filesystem residing on R5 volume were
> > related to vinum(R5)/softupdates combo.
>
> Well, at one point we suspected that.  But the cases I have seen were
> based on a misassumption.  Do you have any concrete evidence that
> points to that particular combination?

Don't have any other evidence than the case I was describing. After
changing my employer I hadn't had much time or motivation to try
again.

> > The vinum R5 and system as a whole were stable without
> > softupdates. Only one problem remained after disabling softupdates,
> > while being online and user I/O going on, rebuilding of failed disk
> > corrupt the R5 volume completely.
>
> Yes, we've fixed a bug in that area.  It had nothing to do with soft
> updates, though.

Oh, that's very good news, thank you! Yes, it had nothing to do with
soft updates at all and that's why I had the "remained after" in the
sentence.

> > Don't know is it fixed or not as I don't have necessary hardware at
> > the moment. The only way around was to quiesce the volume before
> > rebuilding, umount it, and wait until rebuild finished. I'll suggest
> > extensive testing cycle for everyone who's going to work with vinum
> > R5. Concat, striping and mirroring has been a breeze but not so with
> > R5.
>
> IIRC the rebuild bug bit any striped configuration.

Ok, I definitely had problems only with R5, but you certainly know
much better what it was exactly. I'll need to lend 50-pin SCSI cable
and test vinum again. Will it matter on what version of FreeBSD I'll
try on? My home system runs -current of Feb 5, but if you suggest
-stable for consistent results, I'll do it.

Thanks
--
Vallo Kallaste