Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:21:33 +0100
From:      Mark Evenson <mark.evenson@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysutils/fusefs-wdfs [was Re: How to mount WebDAV in FreeBSD?]

[Following up my own post]
> I would like to mount an SSL enabled WebDAV filesystem with FreeBSD as a
> filesystem.
>
> I can successfully mount WebDAV/ssl with gnomevfs2 using the nautilus2
> GUI, but then the filesystem does not seem to be accessible as a mounted
> filesytem that is known to the BSD kernel (i.e. it doesn't show up via
> df(1)).
>
> There was the start of a project [[1]] to mount gnomevfs URIs under
> Linux, but is seems to have died.  Maybe I could crib the code if
> someone has a copy?
 > [[1]] http://primates.ximian.com/~sandino/gnomevfs-mount

I could not find any information on where this code went:  it seems to
be lost, although various Linux binaries RPMs seem to be floating around.

The developers of gnomevfs2 are currently thinking of overhauling their
entire architecture, so maybe this would not be such a smart development
path to run down at this point

> The other option seems to be 'sysutils/fusefs-wdfs' but it seems to be
> very unstable.

Actually, I retract this comment.  If one actually mounts the WebDAV
filesytem as an unprivileged user, wdfs seems quite stable.  My problems
seem to arise when I performed the mount as root, which when the wdfs
process dies, would crash the machine.

NB:  in order to use wdfs as an unprivileged user, one must not only set
the sysctl vfs.usermount to 1, one also has to change devfs to make the
newly created /dev/fuse[0-9]+ devices be world read/writable

    unix# defvs add path fuse\* mode 666

Maybe this should be added to the port pkg-message (if my understanding
is correct)?

--
<Mark.Evenson@gmx.at>

"[T]his is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into."