Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:30:48 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New mergemaster behavior - comparing CVS $Id too

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 12:15:14AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to make mergemaster revert to its old behavior - only
> > comparing $FreeBSD tags on files which have those?
>
> 	Of course there is a way, the question is how likely it is to happen.
> :)  You've stated the solution, just take the local tags out for now.
> They don't tell you anything that 'cvs status' doesn't already tell you.

Ahhhhhh... well I guess I should read my manuals a bit more :)  I *thought*
I'd read the parts about tags and such, and yet I've managed to miss all
the info about 'cvs status'.  But hey, it isn't included in the 'CVS commands'
section :P (although yes, it is in the 'cvs --help-commands' output..)

> 	I struggled with this change, because I myself use a CVS repo to store
> local mods to config files. One of the goals of the current round of
> mergemaster mods is to make the thing more palatable across *BSD
> platforms. There were already too many if it's one $Id tag or another
> definitions in the old code, and it was going to get bigger. If there is
> a great hue and cry over this problem, I'll look at changing it back,
> but frankly my inclination is that using 'ident' is going to be the best
> solution long term.

Hmmm alright, I'll buy the *BSD compatibility one.  Thanks for the answer :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.