Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:06:59 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selective install 4.3 cvsup

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 02:14:17PM -0500, Stephen Hilton wrote:

> # make -DNOPROFILE=3Dtrue -DNOGAMES=3Dtrue buildkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL

-DNOGAMES and -DNOPROFILE control userland code; they don't affect the
kernel builds whatsoever.  There are no games in the kernel (though
perhaps there should be ;-)

> If I copy /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and uncomment these l=
ines:
> NOGAMES=3D       true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
> NOPROFILE=3D     true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
>=20
> Can my make commands from examples above become:
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL
> with the same results ?

Yes, with the above note that they're already doing nothing :-)
/etc/make.conf is the usual way for setting those variables to control
building of parts of make world, though (which is what the NOFOO
options do).

> If I do not uncomment these lines will the make installworld command
> not install kerberos by default ?

Correct; the Kerberos stuff won't even be built.

> Can I then locate the kerberos related files and delete them because
> I installed them with my original 4.2-release install from CD-ROM ?

Yes.

> In /etc/make.conf
>=20
> #CFLAGS=3D -O -pipe
> #CPUTYPE=3Di686
> #NO_CPU_CFLAGS=3D true    # Don't add -march=3D<cpu> to CFLAGS automatica=
lly
> #NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=3Dtrue  # Don't add -march=3D<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automat=
ically
>=20
> >From the docs it appears that I should uncomment "#CFLAGS=3D -O -pipe"
> What about the other 3 options listed above ?
>=20
> Again this is a Pentium III processor.

CPUTYPE will add various applicable gcc optimization directives
(-march=3D<...>) to the CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS value (-O -pipe is the
default value for these and need not be changed), as well as turning
on optimized asm code in OpenSSL and some ports.  NO_CPU_* says not to
add the directives to CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS in case you only want the asm
code.  If you want neither you just don't set CPUTYPE :-)

> If it was a Pentium based system would I change the option
> "CPUTYPE=3Di686" to "CPUTYPE=3Di586" in the /etc/make.conf file ?

Yes.  Actually, as noted in /etc/make.conf a valid value for CPUTYPE
is 'p3' for the Pentium III; the value of i686 ("Pentium Pro") doesn't
enable Pentium MMX opcodes, which are used by one or two ports (this
is currently the only difference between those cases -- so far nothing
uses the PIII SSE instruction set, which would also be activated by
p3).

> I am assuming that this option optimizes base code for the O.S.
> like the kernel option "cpu   I686_CPU" does for the kernel,
> Is my assumption correct ?

The I686_CPU is separate and turns on CPU-specific asm code in the
kernel.

> Is uncommenting this option O.K. for this type of system ?

Yes.

> rm these files:
> /usr/bin/uucp
  [...]

Yes.  There's probably no point in removing the device nodes, they
don't harm anything..

Kris
--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--