Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:38:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein <q@uni.de>, FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Power off problem

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein wrote:
> > halt -p   or shutdown -p now
> ... does indeed not work on a lot of modern systems. All my athlon boxes
> here will only poweroff with 5-CURRENT, thanks to acpi-support there.
> Michael Nottebrock
> "And the reasons? There are no reasons."

There was another post about having to recompile the kernel as well as add
apmd_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf by the way.

I am also on Athlon (FreeBSD 4.6.2), on a home-built box with a MicroStar
MS-6167 motherboard.  Isn't there some important jumper on the board to
enable powering off via software rather than having to press the button??

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services