Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 04:18:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: top/systat

[skip]

> When you try to run top, it looks for the symbol that represents nlist,
> and when it can't find it, it doesn't know where to find the nlist
> kernel function. I'm guessing nlist has something to do with a process
> list... hence, when top can't find nlist, it throws a fit.

I think nlist *is* the list of symbols. What I get from reading
kvm_nlist() it tries to lookup a given list of symbols in kernel. If it
fails, top gives up.
KVM_NLIST(3) more or less explains it.

Now I have another questions: it seems that under some conditions
kvm_nlist can fall back to some other method of getting the values:

	/*
	 * If we can't use the kld symbol lookup, revert to the
	 * slow library call.
	 */
	if (!ISALIVE(kd))
		return (__fdnlist(kd->nlfd, nl));

so my question is: whould this fdnlist work in abscence of kernel symbols?