Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:03:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard disk Corrupted?

> I just installed version 3.1 . It is running fine.
> I had a problem with the no break connected to that machine and the machine
> wents down when the energy fail. The system restarted without trouble and I
> run a FSCK

> ***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****
> ** /dev/rwd0s1e
> ** Last Mounted on /var
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> 381 files, 3211 used, 26540 free (52 frags, 3311 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)
>
> ***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****

<snip>

This probably isn't too bad.  Anytime the system goes down without a proper
unmount, you run the risk of having inconsistent file system info.  What
you need to do is to boot the machine and unmount these filesystems.  Then
run fsck against the raw device (/dev/rwd0s1e).  You may want to boot
in single user mode (boot -s at the prompt), when doing this.

Jon Doran