Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 22:19:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
To:        danj@3skel.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for testers for ThunderLAN ethernet driver

>On a related by different note, just today I've been trying
>to get a Compaq with the AMD SCSI/Lance chip working. I've
>got 2.2.6, the SCSI is fine, the PCI lance lnc1 is probing ok.
>When I ifconfig it I get the 'Initialisation failed' message.
>I looked in the archives, the latest comments coming from jkh,
>so I didn't do the thing setting the port addrs and irqs of the
>ISA driver.

The if_lnc driver doesn't contain any specific probing code for
anything later than an Am79C970 - the PCnet-PCI I chip, and only seems
to initialize a PCnet-PCI II because of a typo in the headers.

The PCI probe is done on the PCI ID which is the same across all the
AMD devices so this succeeds. My guess is that Compaq have set the
thing up with some bus configuration settings that are confusing the
initialization code. What is the model number on the AMD chip ?

I am doing some changes to the lnc driver for stable at the moment as
I am using FreeBSD to debug a laptop with an integrated Am79C970A that
we are building at work.

Robert Swindells