Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:21:57 +0200
From:      "Philip Paeps" <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD not parsing rc.conf after make world

Hi all,

I wonder what I might have done wrong to cause this.  I've just CVSupped the
latest stable sources last night, and today I built the world as follows:

% cd /usr/src
% make buildworld
(loads of coffee, lunch, etc)
% make buildkernel KERNCONF=FORTUNA
(more coffee)
% make installkernel KERNCONF=FORTUNA
% reboot
(single user)

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a

# make installworld
# mergemaster

I told it to install the new MAKEDEV, and merge most of the stuff in /etc, the
sort of stuff I do everytime I make the world.

# reboot

When my machine booted, I was welcomed by (Amnesiac) before login, as opposed to
the (fortuna.paeps.cx), which I'm used to.  After a bit of testing around (a few
changes in rc.conf, followed by reboots), I realised that the system just wasn't
reading it on startup.  Any ideas what might have caused this?  Probably
something silly I did, but I don't want to do it again, given the amount of
coffee I have to consume to kill time waiting for it to let me play with it :-)

Thanks for any help!

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps