Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:36:12 -0500
From:      icantthinkofone <icantthinkofone@charter.net>
To:        "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing Flash Driver

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 24. Oktober 2007 14:47:56 schrieb icantthinkofone:
>
>> Does that in any way answer the question?
>>

> Yes, because gnash is an open-source (re)implementation of Flash Player,
> compatible with a large part of the Flash7 specification, so that you don't
> need Adobe's player to play Flash format multimedia files. Did you actually
> check out (i.e., visit _and_ read) the gnash website, if you're asking this?
>
> By the way, this has nothing to do with drivers; Flash is a data-container
> format, which requires a program (knowing the specification, which is
> sort-of-open, with the emphasis lying on "sort-of," not "open," for Flash) to
> interpret, not a device. The word "driver" is reserved for software providing
> access to the latter (at least in my vocabulary), or at least something
> happening in kernel-space.

Thank you for that.
Many have a problem trying to get Flash to play in their browser.  Flash
worked for me in Firefox until the latest xorg upgrades, as many have
also complained about.  You are right, and I should know better, that
I'm not looking for "drivers" but trying to find out what would be
needed to create a reliable interface to Adobe's flash player.

I'm aware of gnash but have heard it doesn't play all flash files.  This
may be not all the information to do so has been found yet and, maybe,
as you stated, it would be better/easier to contribute to the gnash
project instead.