Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:51:05 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        jml <jml@ha.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: E450 installation problems

jml wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install 5.2.1 on an E450 from CDROM (generated from
> 5.2.1-RELEASE-sparc64-bootonly.iso).
>
> Unfortunately, after finishing partitioning I get:
>
> Unable to find device node for /dev/da0b in /dev!
> The creation of filesystems will be aborted.
>
> I tried jumping to a shell to run mknod but mknod doesn't seem to be
> anywhere.
>
> Did I do something wrong / is this a known issue?

Not sure what to say about this, maybe others do.

> Also, the raid controller doesn't appear to be in the dmesg, even as an
> unconfigured device (I believe it is handled by the asr driver).

I don't know why it wouldn't show up as an unconfigured device.  What
does 'pciconf -lv' show?  In any case, the asr driver has absolutely no
chance of working on sparc64 or any other non-i386 architecture.  It
is neither 64-bit clean nor endian clean, and it is missing the code
needed to work with 64-bit s/g lists.

Scott