Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:06:52 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jesse W Scott <Mathemajikian@home.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation Project

Jesse,

I hope you don't mind -- I've added the doc list back on the distribution
so that other people can see where they can help out.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 06:43:37PM -0500, Jesse W Scott wrote:
> Ok so I can pretty much write about anything I feel should be added such
> as sound card config or samba networking which seems to have been left
> out of the new book.

Absolutely.  You might want to consider whether what you're thinking of
writing would fit best as a section in the Handbook or as a new book.

For example, a small section that explains what Samba is, and how to install
it and do basic configuration is probably best suited in the Handbook.

However, an in-depth discussion of Samba, how the protocol works, how to
tune FreeBSD systems running Samba, and so on, would be better off in a
new book -- perhaps a "Fileserving with FreeBSD" book?  Then we could have
placeholders for extra sections, such as NFS and Appletalk for example,
that others could fill in.

Of course, you could also just take the Linux HOWTO and make it less Linux
specific and more appropriate to BSD.

> Who do I send it to once I have it completed?

The -doc list, and any other people who you think would be able to provide
you with useful feedback.

For example, if you're writing about soundcards then the folks on the
multimedia list would probably appreciate seeing it.

> I think I could come up with a couple of chapters. I see all sorts of
> things that I needed to know that were not in the new book.

Great.  Go for it.