Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:43:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED" <mencl@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
To:        Tom Marchand <unixwiz@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Controlled Network Access

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Tom Marchand wrote:

> I would like to control which users can access tcpip utilities(ftp,telnet,
> etc) by using groups.  I realize that this can be accomplished via the
> proper file permissions on each utility.  This works but it will not prevent
> somebody from compiling their own ftp, telnet etc.  My thought was to
> perform the authorization at the socket level.  This would entail
> modifaction of the kernel to only allow root or a member of the tcpip group
> to open a socket.  Does anybody know if this has been done or if it would
> even work?  I originally had this requirement at work to lock down external
> vendors.  Since we are an AIX shop it was quite easy.  On AIX you must be a
> member of the system group to access network utilities.

In Jun 99, a discussion was here proposing a new securelevel 4, at which
priviledged ports would be blocked even for root.

A result of the disceussion was, that a complete mechanism for
maintaining security policies regarding generic port-ranges would be
strongly welcome, however, I suppose nobody developed it yet.

If anybody did, that would be a solution for you.

You may search that thread by

Subject: proposed secure-level 4 patch

		Best regards

				Vlada Mencl