Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:06:37 +0000
From:      Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
To:        Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Shell script containing passwords.

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:56:08PM +0000, Peter Risdon wrote:
> Lewis Thompson wrote:
> > I am worried that because the script must be read/writeable by the
> >Apache user (www) that anybody that can write a PHP script on my machine
> >can read the auth script and read the passwords that would be contained
> >within -- those to my MySQL server.

> All you can do really is store the passwords themselves in an include=20
> file that you put in the most secure place possible, preferably not in=20
> webspace. But I imagine you have this covered.

Yeah, but this is really security through obscurity, not something I'm
keen on ;)

> > Is there any way I can have a script that is not readable by a user,
> >while still allowing that user to execute it?  Maybe through using a
> >wrapper of some sort?  I do not have UFS2 so I cannot use ACLs.
> >=20
> >
> Not that I know of, but have you considered compiling apache with=20
> suexec? Assuming your other users have seperate logins, this might work.=
=20
> You can have apache execute scripts as the appropriate user, not www.=20
> That way, a 700 permission should prevent other users from reading your=
=20
> scripts.

I read some stuff about this.  I got the impression it required using
PHP as a CGI, instead of mod_php.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  The
overhead of using PHP as CGI is a little too high because the server is
already pretty stretched...

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz@jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--