Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:29:03 -0400
From:      Tom Coughlan <coughlan@missioncriticallinux.com>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Delays and Messages on RH7.1 Linux + AHA2940AU

I'm not sure this is the same problem reported earlier, but it sure is a
pain.

When the AIC-7896 is probed, there is a ~6 second delay for every bus ID
on both channels, accompanied by the error messages indicating:
- Attempting to queue an ABORT message
- Command already completed
- scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 1 channel 0 id n lun 0

I will send the verbose output to Justin.

This is a stock 2.4.6 kernel, with the linux-aic7xxx-6.2.0-2.4.6.patch
applied.  The AIC-7896 is on the motherboard of a VA-Linux 2200 system.
There are no SCSI devices or cables attached to either channel.

It may be just a coincidence, but I am getting a similar behavior on a
qLogic QLA2200 FC adapter that is also in the system.  It delays 6
seconds for each SCSI ID 0-255, printing:

kernel: qlogicfc0 : scsi abort failure: 4006
kernel: qlogicfc0 : abort failed
kernel: qlogicfc0 : firmware status is 4000 3
kernel: scsi: device set offline - command error recover failed: host 0
channel 0 id 255 lun 0

Is this coincidence, or something in the mid-layer?

--
Tom Coughlan
Mission Critical Linux